Monday, January 5, 2009

Heather's Hair


After I lost thirty pounds during the summer of 2003, I lost a large portion of the hair on the top of my head. Doctors attributed the loss to a genetic condition accelerated by a change in the nitrogen balance brought about my weight loss. My diet was not in question. It was simply unfortunate. I had two hair transplants since. I am consumed by my hair. When I was much larger, my red mop described me as opposed to my weight. "Who is Nurse Heather?" asks a doctor. "She's the one with the long red hair," replies a coworker. My hair went away when it was no longer needed.

I am waiting to save enough money to have one more transplant. In the meantime: no coloring, no braiding, no tight ponytails. I apply coconut oil every night, and it seems to be working. I can never be sure though. I decided to take a picture each month and put in on the blog. It's obvious the transplants were as successful as they can be for a woman. I did this with a wet head. That's the true test.

No comments: