Monday, March 16, 2009

The bottom of the Barrel

Guess What? I am broke.

Now I recall, sometime during the eighties, that Belinda Carlisle of the Go Go's lived on Peanut Butter and Jelly plus Mac and Cheese. She lost some much weight that a rock and roll promoter signed then to a record deal. We know how that turned out. (I looked for an interview to support this hazy memory of my teens, but I couldn't. I am 100% sure it was a singer, I am 90% sure it was Ms. Carlisle. It could have been a 'Bangle').

So, I am now going to embark on the poverty diet, at least for the next week and a half. I took an inventory of the freezer, fridge, and pantry. I have the following:
1 box Quinoa
1/2 box of spelt pasta
1/2 jar of peanut butter
1/4 jar of strawberry jam
can of chick peas
one peach
1/2 clove of garlic

Well, I think I need to scrap together some money for some bread. It will be a carb fest like no other, but with small amounts I think I'll be okay.
Anyone have recipe ideas, I've got plenty of spices.

P.S. I got weighed at the doctor today. Allowing for menstrual bloat and middle of the day fluids, I gained about 2 pounds from my Cadbury binge.

2 comments:

H.K. said...

I've been on the poverty diet many times. Healthy food really is expensive when you're broke. Portion control and spices is the way to go when you have nothing, but carbs.

If you have a Taco Bell near you, they have fresco tacos and fresco burritoes for less than a dollar.

I know that it is possible to still lose weight even when you don't have the money to buy healthier food. I've done it before. Unfortunately,when the bank acct started to fill up, so did my weight!

Heather Waghelstein said...

Your right about the correlation between money and food. I think when we have less money we appreciate the value of food more.
Thanks for the advice, I love Taco Bell, but Manhattan only has one downtown.

I am working on the portion control. I did buy some spinach and carrots for my hummus. I make my own hummus.